My World

Welcome to my world, a place where books are piled everywhere, the dining room doubles as a classroom, and plants take over every flat surface in the winter! Science experiments can be found in the kitchen. It's a cozy place in my opinion, I think I'll keep it this way!



Monday, August 9, 2010

They drive me nuts...but I'd be lost without them!

















Sometimes my family drives me insane. Literally. Not because they are misbehaving, but because they are behaving strangely. Very strangely. Tonight for instance. I foolishly thought that with the oldest leaving soon, we should have a game night. Like most families, we have learned what games NOT to play. Apples to Apples is enjoyed by the kids...but NOT the parents. Phase Ten reduces everyone to whining. We thought Skipbo and Yatzee would be safe, and if someone hadn't put 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou' music on, it might have been. Instead it seemed like whoever's turn it was had to be up doing some hillbilly jig...or breakdancing (how you can breakdance to THAT music is beyond me, but they manage). Sigh. The noise volume just kept getting louder and louder until I was afraid the police would show up to see what kind of wild animals we keep in our house. Then my oldest added ringtones to it. Or maybe the ringtones started it all. I of course sat there quietly, at least until I got a Yatzee on my very last turn. I may have screamed a bit at that one since I never get a yatzee. Not that anyone heard over all the noise.

So...they drive me crazy. But when they are gone, the silence is deafening. No armpit noises, no loud music, no foot-stomping and toe-tapping, no giggles, no laughter.

Maybe sanity is over-rated?

3 comments:

  1. Sanity is certainly overrated, as I currently have a almost four year old monkey sitting on my lap going oo oo ah ah, and mommy, I'm your little monkey. Enjoy your week before sending your oldest to college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy those monkey days Tracy! They go too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take the silly, crazy days over any other, in a heartbeat! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete